Sedation Dentistry in Gilbert, AZ
Do you get incredibly anxious or fearful when visiting the dentist? Or, are you worried about your comfort level during a major dental procedure that you have scheduled? If so, you may be interested in undergoing sedation during your dental treatment. Through sedation, which we perform in our office, we are able to put patients to sleep for dental implant procedures, tooth extractions, and other types of dental procedures. When you are sedated, you enter a deep state of relaxation that will help you be much more comfortable while we are working on your teeth.
At Cooper Family Dentistry, we fully understand that many people may suffer from anxiety when having dental work done, and modern dentistry has afforded us with the options to help ease these worries. By using sedation dentistry, you can still have your crucial dental work done, allowing you to take care of your oral health and have strong, healthy teeth and a confident smile.
We perform both oral sedation and intravenous (IV) sedation for our dentistry patients. Oral sedation can be administered through a pill or through the inhalation of nitrous oxide (laughing gas), while IV sedation involves injecting a sedative through IV.
Experience total comfort with sedation dentistry
By using IV or oral sedation, we’re able to make our patients feel both physically and mentally comfortable. By helping you to relax, the entire procedure is much easier to complete—you can just relax while we do the hard work. It’s completely understandable to be anxious or tense, as your mouth and gums can be quite sensitive. That’s why we recommend asking your dentist about sedation dentistry if you have difficulty during oral exams or routine cleaning.
Another one of the benefits people often forget is that sedation dentistry affects your memory and sense of time, so you won’t even remember the procedure. Some complex procedures could take more than a few hours to complete—nobody wants to have to stay awake for that long! With sedation dentistry, the hours will feel like mere minutes, and you’ll feel fine the next day! Finally, since some dental procedures would normally have to take between 4 or 5 appointments to be completed, sedation dentistry allows them to be done in as little as one appointment!
Here are some of the other benefits of sedation:
- It allows you to be completely relaxed or in a state of sleep during your treatment.
- It gives you a much higher threshold for pain.
- It lasts for upwards of 5 hours
- It affects your memory and sense of time, so you’ll have no recollection of the procedure.
- It makes it easier for the dentist to perform longer procedures.
Who is a candidate for dental sedation?
If you suffer from a phobia of dentists, need to have a complex procedure done, or haven’t had much success with Novocain, dental sedation is probably a good option for you. We often use this sedation dentistry for wisdom teeth extraction procedures as well. To make it easier for you, we provide different types of dental sedation for your convenience, including:
- Nitrous oxide: Otherwise known as laughing gas, you breathe this in (as well as oxygen) through a mask, which will help you to relax and relieve your anxiety. We control the amount of sedation you receive. It lasts for just a short amount of time, which means you may be able to drive home afterwards, and the gas is very easily controlled. Nitrous oxide is often used for kids as well.
- Oral sedation: This is administered through a tablet, which we will give to you when you schedule sedation dentistry. You will need to take it before coming to our office. Oral sedation keeps you fully calm and relaxed throughout the entire procedure.
- IV Sedation: We can also inject a sedative through an IV, allowing you to reach a deeper level of sedation. You will not remember anything at all, and we tend to use this method for more complex procedures.
If you are interested in being sedated during your next dental appointment, please consult with a member of our team in Gilbert.
Call our office today at (480) 964-1000!
Why Choose Us
- Comfortable, State-Of-The-Art Office.
- We Provide The Newest And Most Advanced Dental Technology To Take Care Of The Dental Needs For Your Whole Family.
- Dental Care with Compassion and Integrity
- Available On Saturday.